Friday, April 28, 2006

SB 1393 Gains First Victory

Tuesday was our hearing in Sacramento to present SB 1393, regarding International re-adoption in the state of California, before the Senate Judiciary Committee. A few hours before the presentation, I was given an amended form of the bill. It was seriously flawed, but I was told I needed to accept these amendments for now to get past the committee and then I could fix it later.....I sure hope so.

Anyway, our bill passed unanimously, even though there was a woman who spoke in opposition to the bill and made wild accusations and outright lies about the consequences. This success has created quite the firestorm. People are now coming out from all locations to support the efforts of getting this bill passed. It has a long way to go. Next onto the Senate, then the Assembly committee process, then the Assembly and then finally back to the Senate.

We should be having an informational website up and running very soon. We will have to travel to Sacramento at least one more time to speak on behalf of this bill, probably in July. After I get a chance to rework this bill, I will post a link to it sometime next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home